Connect with us

Africa

Eswatini says it will repatriate immigrants deported by United States

Published

on


Eswatini announced on Wednesday that it would repatriate the five immigrants deported there by the United States. 

In a late-night post on X Tuesday, US Homeland Security Assistant Secretary Tricia McLaughlin said five men — citizens of Vietnam, Jamaica, Cuba, Yemen and Laos — had been deported to Eswatini.

She said they were all convicted criminals and “individuals so uniquely barbaric that their home countries refused to take them back.”

Eswatini became the latest nation to take part in the Trump administration’s third-country deportation programme. 

The kingdom’s involvement drew some criticism from the opposition. 

“We condemn the bringing of hardcore convicts to our country to mix with our young convicts who still have a chance to be rehabilitated”, said Mphandlana Shongwe, a political activist from the People’s United Democratic Movement.

“We can approach the courts, the International Court of Justice, or any other legal institutions to possibly complain.” 

Prince Bailey, from the Swaziland United Democratic Front, said the deportations made Eswatini look like “a dumping site [for] those people that the American government view as unworthy to be in their own country.”

Eswatini government spokesperson Thabile Mdluli said in a statement that the deportees paused “no security threat to the nation” and were being held in correctional facilities within isolated units while “on transit.”

She said the country was working with the US and the International Organization for Migration to “facilitate” their repatriation. The government gave no timeframe for that to happen.

The US has already deported eight men to another African country, South Sudan, after the Supreme Court lifted restrictions on sending people to countries where they have no ties.

The US also has sent hundreds of Venezuelans and others to Costa Rica, El Salvador and Panama.



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Africa

Voter turnout in Togo’s municipal elections overall low

Published

on


Togolese voters went to the polls Thursday for municipal elections that were seen as a test for leader Faure Gnassingbé, who has faced rare and deadly protests recently, following a constitutional reform that could effectively keep him in power indefinitely.

Polling stations were largely deserted in Togo’s capital Lomé, reflecting widespread voter apathy and fear following the crackdown on anti-government protests that left several people dead in June.

Gnassingbé, who has ruled since 2005 after the death of his father and predecessor as president, Gnassingbé Eyadéma, was sworn in in May as president of the Council of Ministers.

The powerful role has no official term limits and he is eligible to be re-elected by Parliament indefinitely.

Diaspora-based social media influencers and civil society groups had called for a boycott of the municipal elections, the first national vote organized since the constitutional reform. They argued that the current electoral system lacks credibility and that the recent repression has silenced dissenting voices.

Police and military patrols were stationed at major intersections throughout Lomé, reinforcing a heavy security presence that many residents said contributed to the atmosphere of unease.

“The participation in the election is not good,” said Sémon Aboudou, standing outside a nearly empty voting center in Bè, a neighborhood considered a stronghold of the opposition. “Even in 2019, there was more enthusiasm,” he added.

“People are afraid — afraid of being attacked by protesters for legitimizing these elections, or afraid of being dispersed by security forces,” said Edem Adjaklo, a voter in the Gakli neighborhood.



Source link

Continue Reading

Africa

White House confirms Trump diagnosed with common vascular condition

Published

on


The White House confirmed Thursday that former President Donald Trump has been diagnosed with chronic venous insufficiency, a common vascular condition often seen in older adults. The announcement followed concerns raised after Trump was seen with mild swelling in his lower legs and bruising on his hand.

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said the condition was discovered during a recent medical checkup.

“This is consistent with minor soft tissue irritation from frequent handshaking and the use of aspirin,” Leavitt noted, adding that the medication is part of Trump’s standard cardiovascular prevention regimen.

Chronic venous insufficiency occurs when valves inside the veins — responsible for helping blood flow back to the heart — begin to fail. While the condition can cause swelling and discomfort, experts say it is largely manageable.

Dr. Andrea Obi, a vascular surgeon at the University of Michigan, explained:

“The causes really are multifactorial… It is more common as we age. Treatment tends to be compression stockings, walking, and in some cases, minimally invasive procedures to close off malfunctioning veins. Overall, it’s a very common and benign diagnosis.”

The disclosure is notable, as Trump has historically kept much of his health information private. The White House has not released further details on his current treatment plan, but officials emphasized the condition poses no serious health threat.



Source link

Continue Reading

Africa

“Enough Is Enough”: Liberians protest for justice, jobs, and accountability

Published

on


Hundreds of Liberians flooded the streets of the capital on Thursday, chanting “enough is enough” and demanding accountability from President Joseph Boakai’s government. The demonstration, led by opposition figure Mulbah Morlu, marks the most visible protest since Boakai took office last year, promising reforms and better living conditions.

The protesters carried signs and voiced frustrations over unmet campaign promises, job losses, and the government’s failure to establish a long-promised war crimes court.

“I am very angry. This is why I am in the street today,” said Victoria Roberts, a local businesswoman.

“I am in the street to remind my government of their past promises that they made to we, the Liberian people. How can you say that you came to better the lives of the people, but then you came and took people from jobs? Is that what you call betterment?”

One of the protest’s central demands is justice for victims of Liberia’s brutal civil wars. Protesters are calling for the creation of a war crimes tribunal to prosecute those responsible for atrocities committed between 1989 and 2003.

“We the motorcyclists, we want a war crimes court,” said Dougis Smith, an opposition supporter.

“The war crimes court should not be for Prince Johnson alone. ‘General Butt Naked’ needs to go to the war crimes court too.”

There is growing frustration that figures widely believed to have committed war crimes remain free or even active in political life.

Musu Dennis, another demonstrator, criticized President Boakai’s leadership so far, saying Liberians expected more from a man with decades of public service.

“Liberians voted for Joseph Boakai because he has 40 years experience. So he should start to use that 40 years experience for the Liberian people, not for him to come and put tension on the Liberian people. We are suffering. Let Joseph Boakai do the right thing.”

Protesters also denounced what they described as politically motivated firings and called for the restoration of the rule of law. The crowd, largely peaceful, was making its way toward the presidential palace to deliver a formal petition.

While no violence was reported, Monrovia’s usually bustling streets were quieter than normal, as many residents opted to stay home, fearing possible unrest.

President Boakai’s office has yet to respond publicly to the protest or its demands.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending