Connect with us

Sports

Deshaun Watson: Cleveland Browns co-owner Jimmy Haslam calls controversial acquisition of QB a ‘big swing and miss’

Published

on



CNN
 — 

Cleveland Browns co-owner Jimmy Haslam called the team’s controversial acquisition of quarterback Deshaun Watson a “big swing and miss” on Monday.

The Browns traded for Watson from the Houston Texans in March 2022, sending three first-round picks away as part of the deal, and went on to give him a five-year, fully guaranteed $230 million contract.

However, since then, Watson has struggled on the field, as well as battling injuries; he missed the majority of last season with a ruptured Achilles and underwent a second surgery for the injury in January putting his participation in 2025 in question.

In the first public comments made from the Browns co-owner about the trade, Haslem admitted that the high-profile trade hasn’t had the positive impact on the field he was hoping.

“We took a big swing and miss with Deshaun,” Jimmy Haslam told reporters, per Mary Kay Cabot of via Cleveland.com. “We thought we had the quarterback, we didn’t and we gave up a lot of draft picks to get him. So we’ve got to dig ourselves out of that hole. (It) was an entire organization decision and it ends with (wife and co-owner) Dee and I, so hold us accountable.”

Haslam (left) called the trade for Watson (right) a

Watson’s move to the Browns came amid dozens of civil lawsuits on behalf of women alleging the quarterback sexually harassed or assaulted them. He was suspended for the first 11 games of the 2022 season for violating the league’s personal conduct policy when he was with the Texans.

His 2023 season with the Browns was cut short because of a shoulder injury. Since arriving in Ohio, Watson has played in just 19 games across three seasons for the Browns with a 9-10 record with 19 touchdowns and 12 interceptions.

The 29-year-old still has two years left on the contract and ESPN, citing unnamed sourcing, reported late last year that Watson and the team agreed to rework his contract to add void years and move his dead salary cap into 2030.

But with the Browns holding the No. 2 pick in the 2025 NFL Draft, it looks likely that the team will go in a new direction at quarterback.

“It would be great if we could get the quarterback, but we’re not going to force it,” Haslam said, per ESPN.com. “We’re going to be patient and we’re going to try to accumulate as many really good football players as we can.”



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Fencer disqualified from tournament after refusing to face an opponent she says is transgender

Published

on


College Park, Maryland
AP
 — 

USA Fencing disqualified a fencer from a women’s tournament in Maryland after she refused to face an opponent whom she says is transgender.

Stephanie Turner was competing on March 30 in a USA Fencing-sanctioned regional tournament at the University of Maryland. It was not an NCAA-sanctioned event.

Online video shows Turner took a knee in protest before her match against the opponent. She was shown a black card by an official and disqualified from the remainder of the tournament. The Associated Press is not identifying Turner’s opponent because they have not publicly commented on the incident nor disclosed their gender identity.

“A fencer is not permitted to refuse to fence another properly entered fencer for any reason,” USA Fencing said in a statement released to The Associated Press. “Under these rules, such a refusal results in disqualification and the corresponding sanctions. This policy exists to maintain fair competition standards and preserve the sport’s integrity.”

USA Fencing said it enacted its current transgender and non-binary athlete policy in 2023. The organization added that Turner’s disqualification only applies to the March 30 tournament.

“We understand that the conversation on equity and inclusion pertaining to transgender participation in sport is evolving,” the statement said. “USA Fencing will always err on the side of inclusion, and we’re committed to amending the policy as more relevant evidence-based research emerges, or as policy changes take effect in the wider Olympic & Paralympic movement.”

Turner told Fox News Digital that after checking the competition pool the night before the event, she realized she would be competing against a transgender opponent.

“I told them that I was refusing to fence because this person is a man, and I’m a woman, and this is a women’s tournament and I refuse to fence on principle,” Turner told Fox News.



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Grand Slam Track: With some athletes ‘suffering financially,’ Michael Johnson hopes his new league can bring value to track and field

Published

on



CNN
 — 

Michael Johnson wants to make one thing clear: track doesn’t need saving. But he does think it needs improving.

For Johnson and many others, we are reminded of the sport’s potential once every four years when, for a brief, two-week window, athletes compete for status and legacy at the Summer Olympic Games.

In that moment, track and field is suddenly the most popular show on the planet, the short-lived center of the sporting universe. It’s what happens over the next four years that the sprinter-turned-commissioner has concerns about.

“That’s the void that has existed in the sport,” Johnson tells CNN Sports’ Amanda Davies, “and we’re filling it with Grand Slam Track.”

Spearheaded by the four-time Olympic champion, Grand Slam Track hosts its inaugural event in Kingston, Jamaica on Friday – the first of four meets taking place across the next three months.

The league has attracted some of the biggest names in the sport, including American Olympic champions Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone, Gabby Thomas, Cole Hocker and Quincy Hall.

Athletes signing up for Grand Slam Track have been promised regular, meaningful races against their fiercest rivals, as well as more prize money than the sport has ever offered before.

The 48 racers contracted by the league each receive an annual base salary for competing in the four meets over the course of the season, while $12.6 million in prize money is also on offer. That ranges from $100,000 for winning a slam to $10,000 for placing last.

By contrast, in the Diamond League – the sport’s established annual series of track and field meets – athletes receive $10,000 for winning an event and $1,000 for placing eighth.

“Most of the athletes suffer greatly because they aren’t able to realize any value,” says Johnson, best remembered for winning 200-meter and 400-meter gold medals at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta.

“Those athletes end up in situations where, many years later, and sometimes even in their careers, they’re wondering: ‘Should I have made this choice? I love this sport, but I’m suffering financially, I’m suffering mentally trying to make a living in this sport. I’m having to rely on friends and family to help.’”

The debut Grand Slam Track season will see 48 contracted racers, who are among the world’s top athletes, and 48 challengers, selected on an event-by-event basis, competing in six event groups: short and long sprints, short and long hurdles, and short and long distance.

Each athlete is assigned to an event group and will compete in two disciplines at every meet. Short sprinters, for example, will race in the 100 and 200 meters, and long sprinters in the 200 and 400 meters.

Points are earned based on an athlete’s finishing position in a race, and whoever has the most points across the two races at a meet is crowned the winner of an event group.

“That creates some significant narratives and jeopardy, which is what fans told us they want,” says Johnson. “They want to see the athletes more. They also want to see some jeopardy and some stakes.”

With the contracted racers guaranteed to appear at every event, Grand Slam Track hopes to showcase the sport’s top athletes more regularly, beyond the Olympics and the biennial World Athletics Championships. But there are significant absentees from the roster, including the likes of Sha’Carri Richardson, Jakob Ingebrigtsen, Karsten Warholm and Femke Bol.

Notably, the two reigning Olympic 100m champions – Noah Lyles and Julien Alfred – have not signed up, and the league only features track – and not field – disciplines, meaning there is no place for superstar pole vaulter Mondo Duplantis.

However, those who have joined are encouraged by the league’s approach, particularly when it comes to compensating athletes.

“I’ve never had a base salary from a series of races before, that’s entirely novel,” American distance runner Grant Fisher tells CNN Sports. “For distance runners and for sprinters, pretty much anyone in track, your main source of income is from a shoe company – that’d be your main sponsor.

“You might get an appearance fee at a race here and there, but unless you’re a superstar, you’re probably not getting money to show up places. Whereas with Grand Slam, you have an incentive to show up, and then you have a huge incentive to race well. The prize purse is unlike anything this sport has ever seen … It’s a massive shift.”

Fisher races in the 10,000 meters at last year's Olympics.

Fisher, a two-time Olympic bronze medalist who recently broke two indoor world records, will compete in the 3,000 and 5,000 meters – the long distance event group – as a contracted racer at this season’s four meets.

He won’t be up against all his big rivals, such as two-time Olympic champion Ingebrigtsen, but still feels that Grand Slam Track is the platform he needs to elevate his career.

“I want to race the best guys as often as possible, and I want to be the best runner in the world,” says Fisher. “In order to have that title, I need to beat the best guys in the world consistently.

“It’s a cool format, it’s new. It gives fans something to follow with continuity, and I’m excited to be part of it. When they approached me, probably not great negotiation tactics, but I was kind of already sold on joining … They really didn’t have to win me over too much.”

This season’s races will be broadcast in 189 countries and territories, with Peacock and The CW serving as broadcasters in the US, Eurosport in Europe and Asia, and TNT Sports in the UK and Ireland. Both Eurosport and TNT Sports are sister companies of CNN under the Warner Bros. Discovery umbrella.

Inside Kingston’s National Stadium, the track has already been painted in the green, yellow and black of Jamaica’s flag in anticipation of the league’s opening event. The next three meets will be in the US – Miami, Philadelphia and Los Angeles – which Johnson says will serve a huge market for track and field, though one with few elite races to show for it.

The 57-year-old insists that Grand Slam Track is not trying to usurp the likes of World Athletics, the sport’s global governing, and the Diamond League, which holds most of its events in Europe.

“We’re a different product,” he says, adding that he has “a great relationship” with World Athletics and its president, Sebastian Coe. In turn, Coe has welcomed Johnson’s league, taking comfort in the “luster” and “investment” being injected into the sport.

Grand Slam Track only has plans to grow and, according to Johnson, has been contacted by cities interested in hosting future meets. “This is a journey for us, and we’re in it for the long haul,” he says. “We’re not going anywhere.”

For athletes like Fisher, who faces the demanding prospect of racing two distance events in three days this week, Grand Slam Track will ostensibly feel the same as other races he has competed in, and his targets for the season-opener in Kingston are simple.

“The only goal is to win,” he says. “If I can consistently win these Slams, then that’s a really good sign for where I am in my career.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Zambia removes US-based players from women’s squad due to ‘additional travel measures’ under Trump administration

Published

on



CNN
 — 

Four women’s soccer players from Zambia have been removed from the national team ahead of upcoming internationals due to added challenges entering the United States.

The Football Association of Zambia (FAZ) announced on Wednesday that captain Barbra Banda, Racheal Kundananji, Prisca Chilufya and Grace Chanda, all of whom play for clubs in the US, won’t be traveling to China for the Yangchuan International Tournament.

Travel to and from the US has become more difficult under the Trump administration with reports of detentions and visas being revoked for those entering the country.

The FAZ said that the decision to exclude the quartet from upcoming games owed to “additional travel measures” being introduced by the new administration.

“I wish to confirm that the Orlando Pride trio of Barbra Banda, Grace Chanda and Prisca Chilufya as well as Rachael Kundananji of Bay FC will not be available for the two international friendly matches in China,” general secretary Reuben Kamanga said in the announcement from FAZ.

Kundananji is a key player for the Copper Queens.

“After working through the process instigated by recently introduced measures it was decided that it is in the best interest of our players to skip this assignment.

“They will definitely be available for future assignments as they were for the last window when we played Malawi. The technical bench has since roped in replacements to ensure that the team remains competitive.”

Kamanga added that the decision was made after receiving advice from the United States of America Zambian mission in Washington, as well as Orlando Pride and Bay FC.

Zambia’s women’s national team, nicknamed the Copper Queens, will face Thailand at the Yangchuan International Tournament in Chongqing, China on April 5. A win would see them face either the host nation or Uzbekistan in the final on April 8.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending