Connect with us

Europe

Ukraine: Trump accuses Zelensky of ‘trying to back out’ of proposed minerals deal

Published

on



CNN
 — 

US President Donald Trump accused the Ukrainian president of “trying to back out” of the minerals deal expected to be agreed between the two countries as early as this week, adding that Volodymyr Zelensky would face “big problems” if he didn’t sign an agreement. But Ukraine has highlighted that the conditions of the deal changed significantly in recent days.

“I see he’s trying to back out of the rare earth deal. And if he does that, he’s got some problems. Big, big problems,” Trump told reporters aboard Air Force Once on Sunday. “We made a deal on rare earth and now he’s saying, ‘well, you know, I want to renegotiate the deal.’”

“He wants to be a member of NATO. Well, he was never going to be a member of NATO. He understands that. So if he’s looking to renegotiate the deal, he’s got big problems,” Trump said.

Meanwhile, Zelensky said last week that the conditions of the deal being negotiated are “constantly changing,” but overall, Ukraine feels positively toward a future agreement.

The Ukrainian president said last Thursday that the two countries had already agreed to a “framework agreement” and then a full agreement would be hashed out later, involving more research and ratification in the Ukrainian parliament. But then the US-side changed its position to put forward “a full agreement right away,” Zelensky said.

“So it’s too early to talk about the agreement, which has been changed several times. But I would not want the US to have a feeling that Ukraine is against it in general,” Zelensky said. “We have consistently shown our positive signals. We are for cooperation with the United States.”

An initial minerals deal went unsigned following Trump’s contentious Oval Office meeting with Zelensky in February.

But it has been revived in the form of a new proposal for a natural resources agreement, which would give the US more access to Kyiv’s rare earth minerals, according to two people familiar with the discussions and a copy of the draft proposal obtained by CNN on Thursday.

The new proposal, put forward by the US Treasury Department, goes well beyond the initial draft agreement.

It does not, however, include language regarding one of Ukraine’s priorities — concrete security guarantees in the country’s ongoing war with Russia.

The deal would apply to all mineral resources, oil and gas across all of Ukraine, the sources said.

A key part of the proposal requires Ukrainian enterprises to contribute to a joint US-Ukraine investment fund that would be overseen by a five-person board consisting of three members from Washington and two from Kyiv – prompting concerns that Ukraine would be ceding sweeping control of key assets to the United States.

The Trump administration has argued that the potential minerals deal would serve as a leading reason for the US to remain invested in Ukraine as Washington pursues an end to the war.

Trump has also referred to a rare earth minerals agreement as a way for the US to be compensated for the aid and military assistance sent to Ukraine.

“The mineral deal offers Ukraine the opportunity to form an enduring economic relationship with the United States that is the basis for long term security and peace. It will strengthen our two nations’ relationship and benefit both parties,” National Security Council spokesman James Hewitt told CNN. “The deal will help make Ukraine prosperous and reflects America’s past and current commitment to Ukraine.”

Meanwhile, Washington and Moscow have also started talks related to cooperation on rare earth metals and other projects in Russia.

“Rare earth metals are an important area for cooperation, and we have certainly started discussions about various rare earth metals and projects in Russia,” said Kirill Dmitriev, CEO of the Russian Direct Investment Fund. Dmitriev, a close Putin adviser, was part of the Kremlin’s high-level negotiating team that engaged in direct talks with US diplomats in Saudia Arabia.

The Kremlin said Monday that no documents have been signed yet, but there is interest in cooperation.

It comes as Trump continues to push for an end to the war, expressing open frustration with Russian President Vladimir Putin over the weekend.

“I was very angry – pissed off – when Putin started getting into Zelensky’s credibility, because that’s not going in the right location, you understand?” Trump told NBC News in an interview, referring to the Russian leader’s comments suggesting Ukraine be put under a “temporary administration” while the two nations work toward a ceasefire deal.

Trump continued, “But new leadership means you’re not gonna have a deal for a long time, right? … But I was pissed off about it. But if a deal isn’t made, and if I think it was Russia’s fault, I’m going to put secondary sanctions on Russia.”

“If Russia and I are unable to make a deal on stopping the bloodshed in Ukraine, and if I think it was Russia’s fault, which it might not be, but if I think it was Russia’s fault, I am going to put secondary tariffs on oil, on all oil coming out of Russia,” Trump said.

A graphite mining pit in Zavallya, Ukraine, is pictured on February 28, 2025. Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky has said conditions of the proposed minerals deal are

Asked on Sunday aboard Air Force One if there is a deadline for Putin to agree to a deal, Trump said: “It’s a psychological deadline. If I think they’re tapping us along, I will not be happy about it.”

Meanwhile, Finland’s president, who made a surprise visit to Florida over the weekend to meet Trump and play a round of golf, said he told his US counterpart a deadline should be set.

After the two leaders’ meeting in Florida, Finnish President Alexander Stubb told reporters that Trump’s patience with Russia was running out.

“April 20 would be a good time for a full ceasefire without any conditions… Because a deadline is needed, because it is Easter and because President Donald Trump will have been in office for three months,” Stubb said Sunday regarding his suggestion for a deadline.

CNN’s Kosta Gak, Anna Chernova, Victoria Butenko and Betsy Klein contributed to this report.



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Europe

Laila Soueif: Imprisoned Egyptian-British activist’s mother Laila Soueif marks 100 days of hunger strike, says family

Published

on



CNN
 — 

Tuesday marks 100 days since 68-year-old Laila Soueif started a hunger strike in a plea to the UK government to free her son from imprisonment in Egypt, according to her family.

Alaa Abd El-Fattah was a leading activist in the country’s 2011 uprising. He has been imprisoned for much of the past decade, and in 2019 was sentenced to a further five years in prison for allegedly spreading false news after sharing a Facebook post highlighting human rights abuses in Egyptian jails.

Both Soueif and Abd El-Fattah hold dual Egyptian and British citizenship.

Soueif began her hunger strike in September, standing in front of the British Foreign Affairs office in protest at the lack of progress in freeing her son. She has been surviving on black coffee, herbal tea and three packets of rehydration salts a day, according to a statement from her family.

She is currently in Cairo, in hopes of meeting her son for a 20-minute visit on January 8. The visit is expected to take place through a glass barrier at a prison located an hour outside the Egyptian capital, the statement said.

“Unfortunately, the government seems to be waiting for me to be hospitalized before they act decisively to secure my son’s freedom. We have been lucky that my body has been resilient, but we will soon run out of time,” Soueif said in the statement.

The British government has previously said it is working to secure Abd El Fattah’s release. In 2022, UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak raised the imprisoned activist’s case during a meeting with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi on the sidelines of the COP27, a Downing Street spokesperson said at the time.



Source link

Continue Reading

Europe

Hegseth expected to skip key meeting with allies on Ukraine support

Published

on



CNN
 — 

US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth is not expected to attend next week’s meeting of the Ukraine Defense Contact Group in Brussels, marking the first time since the group’s founding three years ago that a senior Pentagon official will not be there to represent the US, officials familiar with the matter told CNN.

The US has for months been steadily pulling back from the group, which was founded by former Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin in 2022 after Russia’s invasion as a way for dozens of countries to streamline the delivery of military equipment to Ukraine to quell Russian military advances.

Whereas Austin or a senior Pentagon official always chaired the group’s monthly meetings, Hegseth has ceded that role to the UK in recent months—even as a senior US general told lawmakers on Thursday that “continuing to assist Ukraine on the battlefield daily” is “very important” when it comes to maintaining leverage over the Russians.

Hegseth attended a meeting of the UDCG in February at NATO headquarters in Brussels, where he told allies that the US would no longer be a guarantor of European security and that it was highly “unlikely” that Ukraine would ever join NATO—a comment that, at the time, marked a dramatic shift from the longtime US position that Ukraine would one day join the alliance.

Defense News was first to report Hegseth is likely to skip the meeting next week.

The Trump administration has turned on and off its military and intelligence support to Ukraine in recent months as a way to push Kyiv to the negotiating table. The US hasn’t imposed any penalties on Russia, even as Moscow has refused to agree to a White House proposal for a 30-day ceasefire and continues to place conditions on even a partial ceasefire in the Black Sea.

Russia also wasn’t on the list of countries the Trump administration announced it is imposing tariffs on this week.

Trump attacked Russian President Vladimir Putin publicly last weekend and threatened tariffs on countries which buy Russian oil, but days later temporarily suspended sanctions on a Russian financier and Putin ally in order to host him for meetings this week in Washington, DC—the first time a Russian official has traveled to DC for such talks since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022.

As the Russian negotiator, Kirill Dimitriev, was in DC for meetings on Thursday, Gen. Christopher Cavoli, the head of US European Command and Supreme Allied Commander Europe was testifying to Congress that Russia poses a “chronic” and “growing” threat to the US and the west saying Russia is “actively waging a campaign of destabilization across Europe and beyond.”

“Russia’s war in Ukraine, now in its fourth year, has revealed Russia to be a chronic threat, and we see in the future it will be a growing threat, one that is willing to use military force to achieve its geopolitical goals,” Cavoli told the Senate Armed Services Committee on Thursday.

“Further exacerbating this threat from Russia are the deepening partnerships among our adversaries — Iran, the Communist Chinese Party, the DPRK, and Russia itself. And these are increasingly posing a global risk,” he said.

Dimitriev and Trump envoy Steve Witkoff met on Wednesday, sources told CNN.

US and western intelligence officials do not believe that Russia is interested in negotiating a ceasefire deal with Ukraine in good faith, CNN has reported. Moscow still believes it can sustain its war effort and outlast Ukraine on the battlefield.

A senior NATO official reiterated that on Thursday, saying that “Russia still believes that time mostly is on its side.”

“We have had questions for a long time about whether Putin intends to negotiate in good faith,” the official said. Russia is “willing to continue those talks [about mending ties with the US] at the same time that it is delaying and stalling and saying that they can’t accept the US proposals right now, on the actual ceasefire. I think all of that supports the idea that Russia’s goals haven’t changed at all—that right now, what it is trying to do is probably stall for time, make less concessions on the war, and try to instead make progress on sanctions, on Russia’s place in the international community.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Europe

‘You cannot annex another country,’ Danish PM tells US over Greenland

Published

on


Nuuk, Greenland
Reuters
 — 

Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen called Thursday for increased Arctic defense collaboration with the United States during a visit to Greenland, and firmly dismissed the US desire to annex the semi-autonomous Danish territory.

Frederiksen’s visit follows months of tension between Washington and Copenhagen over US President Donald Trump’s repeated declarations that the Arctic island should become part of the United States.

At a news conference with the outgoing and incoming Greenlandic prime ministers, Frederiksen switched to English to address the United States directly, inviting them to strengthen security in the Arctic together with Denmark and Greenland.

“I would like to take this opportunity to send a message directly to the United States of America,” Frederiksen said onboard a military vessel with snowy cliffs in the background.

“This is not only about Greenland or Denmark, this is about the world order that we have built together across the Atlantic over generations. You cannot annex another country, not even with an argument about security,” she said.

Her comments came shortly after US Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Danish Foreign Minister Lars Lokke Rasmussen met on the sidelines of a NATO meeting in Brussels.

According to Rasmussen, Rubio acknowledged Greenland’s right to self-determination.

Rubio had reaffirmed the “strong relationship” between the US and Denmark, the State Department said in a statement after the meeting.

Meanwhile, Greenlandic incoming Prime Minister Jens-Frederik Nielsen, who won last month’s parliamentary election, told the news conference it was important for Denmark and Greenland to stand united during a situation with such external pressure, according to daily Sermitsiaq.

US Vice President JD Vance visited a US military base in northern Greenland last Friday and accused Denmark of not doing a good job of keeping the Arctic island safe. He suggested the US would better protect the strategically located territory.

Frederiksen said at the time Vance’s description of Denmark was “not fair.”

On Thursday, she outlined Denmark’s security commitments, including new Arctic ships, long-range drones and satellite capacity, and said Denmark would announce more investments.

“If you want to be more present in Greenland, Greenland and Denmark is ready and if you would like to strengthen the security in the Arctic just like us, then let us do it together,” she said.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending