Connect with us

Education

University of Minnesota student lost visa for drunk driving, not protests, ICE says

Published

on


MINNEAPOLIS — A University of Minnesota graduate student who was detained by Immigration and Customs Enforcement was taken into custody because of a drunken driving infraction, not for being involved in protests, federal officials said Monday.

“This is not related to student protests,” the Department of Homeland Security said in a statement. “The individual in question was arrested after a visa revocation by the State Dept. related to a prior criminal history for a DUI.”

News of the student’s detention — and the lack of an official explanation — sparked student protests and expressions of concern from university and political leaders. Gov. Tim Walz told reporters Monday that he spoke with Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem about it Friday and was waiting for further details.

Meanwhile, officials at Minnesota State University Mankato said Monday that one of their students had been detained by ICE as well.

President Edward Inch said in a letter to the campus community that the student was detained Friday at an off-campus residence.

“No reason was given. The University has received no information from ICE, and they have not requested any information from us,” Inch wrote. “I have contacted our elected officials to share my concerns and ask for their help in stopping this activity within our community of learners.”

The Mankato school did not name the student, nor give the student’s nationality or field of study. ICE did not immediately respond to a request for details on that case.

“This is becoming a deeply concerning pattern, where ICE detains students with little to no explanation … and ignores their rights to due process,” U.S. Sen. Tina Smith said in a statement. “I will keep pressing the administration for answers about these arrests and work to get answers from federal immigration authorities about this case.”

The University of Minnesota has not named its student either.

That student, who was detained at an off-campus residence Thursday, was enrolled in the business school on the Minneapolis campus. University spokesperson Andria Waclawski said the school had no further updates Monday. She said earlier that they were following the lead of the student and respecting their request for privacy, while providing the student with legal aid and other supports.

The governor said Monday that, “A deep concern is, here, that no matter what the situation was, in this country, everyone has due process rights and our concern is whether those due process rights are being followed.”

The Trump administration has cited a seldom-invoked statute authorizing the secretary of state to revoke visas of noncitizens who could be considered a threat to foreign policy interests. More than half a dozen people with ties to universities are known to have been taken into custody or deported in recent weeks. Most of those detainees have shown support for Palestinian causes during campus protests over Israel’s war in Gaza.



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

Trump administration revokes visas of 10 Colorado international students, universities say

Published

on


Several international students at Colorado universities have had their visas revoked by the Department of Homeland Security, according to the universities.

Between the University of Colorado and Colorado State University, 10 students have had their F-1 visa, which allows foreign students to study at universities in America, rescinded as of Tuesday evening.

The University of Colorado said four international students were impacted. Meanwhile, six students at Colorado State University had their visas terminated, according to the school.

“We are focused on supporting the success of all of our students, including international students. Each one of our students are seeking to advance their careers and the lives of their families, and we understand the anxieties that visa revocations cause to impacted students,” the University of Colorado said in a statement.

The school added, “We urge any international student with questions or concerns to reach out to their campus’ international student office.”

Colorado State University said the “affected students are advised to immediately contact the embassy of their home country” and “we are working with our state and federal elected officials to ensure that our students are informed of all their options.”

The universities declined to provide additional information or the students’ identity, citing privacy reasons.

The revocation of nearly a dozen visas in Colorado comes after a wave of high-profile arrests of international students across the country in March. The Trump administration has justified its decision to deport the students based on a provision in immigration law. It allows the secretary of state to deport someone if it is determined that the person “would have serious adverse foreign policy consequences for the United States.” 

In March, Mahmoud Khalil, a student who took part in the protests at Columbia University, was apprehended by federal immigration officials in New York for allegedly leading activities “aligned to Hamas,” which the United States has designated a terrorist organization.

Another student at Tufts University, Rumeysa Ozturk, was grabbed off the street by federal officers in plain clothes while on her way to break her Ramadan fast with friends over allegations that she “engaged in activities in support of Hamas.”

A year ago, Ozturk co-wrote a student newspaper op-ed criticizing the university’s response to demands that it “acknowledge the Palestinian genocide” and “divest from companies with direct or indirect ties to Israel.”

Authorities also detained Badar Khan Suri, a graduate student from India, who was teaching at Georgetown University on a student visa.

Assistant DHS Secretary Tricia McLaughlin said Suri was “actively spreading Hamas propaganda and promoting antisemitism on social media” and had “close connections to a known or suspected terrorist, who is a senior advisor to Hamas.”

Khalil, Ozturk and Suri do not face known criminal charges. 

Last week, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said the State Department had revoked 300 or more student visas.

“It might be more than 300 at this point. We do it every day. Every time I find one of these lunatics, I take away their visas,” he said. “I think it’s crazy to invite students into your country that are coming onto your campus and destabilizing it. We’re just not going to have it. So we’ll revoke your visa.”

Rubio added, “Once your visa is revoked, you’re illegally in the country and you have to leave.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Education

Nashville school shooter sought fame in 2023 attack that left 6 dead, report finds

Published

on


The 28-year-old who fatally shot six people at a Tennessee Christian school was primarily motivated by “notoriety” in the planned 2023 attack, police concluded in a final investigative report released on Wednesday.

Audrey Hale “bore no grudge against the school or staff” of The Covenant School in Nashville on March 27, 2023, when three 9-year-olds and a trio of adults were killed, according to the 48-page Metropolitan Nashville Police Department report.

“In short, the motive determined over the course of the investigation was notoriety,” investigators concluded after two years of examining how and why Hale opened fire that day.

Hale was killed by responding police officers inside the school.

“Hale longed for her name and actions to be remembered long after she was dead. She wanted absolute control of the narrative surrounding the attack, particularly her motives,” the report states.

“She saw herself as a victim in the attack, and even though at times she saw herself equal to those she would kill, there were occasions she considered herself to be ‘the true victim’ in the attack.”

Police detailed Hale’s minute-by-minute actions that day when she left her house at 8 a.m. CDT and went to a gun range, carrying “a duffle bag and backpack, which contained three different firearms, ammunition, and equipment.”

After loading weapons and donning a tactical vest, Hale arrived at the school at 9:53 a.m. and “remained inside her vehicle for the next several minutes and sent a goodbye message to her friend.” Hale used an AR pistol to blast into the school at 10:10 a.m. and killed custodian Mike Hill a minute later. Hale then killed students Evelyn Dieckhaus, William Kinney, and Hallie Scruggs and substitute Cynthia Peak at 10:12 a.m.The first 911 calls from staff were made at 10:13 a.m. at about the same time headmaster Katherine Koonce left her office to investigate a fire alarm, set off by the smoke of Hale’s shooting. Koonce was killed a minute later.Nashville police arrived at 10:19 a.m. and Hale reached a second-floor lobby minutes later to see responding officers pulling into the parking lot. Hale “took up a firing position at the window and opened fire on the officers exiting their vehicles, forcing them to take cover.” That gunfire helped officers identify Hale’s location and upon “finding her in the second-floor lobby firing upon police officers, they shot and killed her” at 10:24 p.m.

Police credited school staff and students for quickly hiding in rooms to prevent even more bloodshed.

“Despite all her research, she never realized schools have developed active killer response plans, which include them barricading within classrooms in a manner which would make it difficult for her to kill others,” the report said. “Once she failed to find easy targets, she appeared to wander the hallways of the building, angry and confused about her lack of success in meeting her goals.”

Police spent the last two years talking to school staff and those close to Hale in addition to poring over the shooter’s devices, writings and online activity.

Hale was fascinated by mass shootings, none more than the attack at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado. Fourteen people were killed when two students stormed the school near Denver on April 20, 1999, a massacre that has inspired a wave of copycat school shootings.

Shooters Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed themselves at the scene of what was then the deadliest K-12 shooting in U.S. history.

“Yet even though she reviewed information for every mass killing she could find regardless of their motives or the targets they selected, she kept returning to Columbine as her true source of inspiration,” according to the police report.

“She did extensive research into the offenders, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, and considered them worthy of emulation. She focused on how their documented mental health history and societal views were similar to her own and how the notoriety they achieved following their deaths led them to becoming ‘gods.’ ”

Hale appeared to be a happy middle school student but struggled transitioning to high school and college as old friends developed new interests and social sets, police said.

At the urging of a therapist, Hale began keeping a journal in 2017, which eventually helped police understand the shooter’s state of mind.

“From 2018 forward, she began to insert her anger more and more into each entry,” police said. “She began to write ‘rage storms,’ which consisted of long, expletive-filled entries devoted to topics that greatly angered her.”

After the shootings, officers found several stuffed animals in the front seat of Hale’s car.

Police would later conclude that those toys might have been, in Hale’s viewpoint, the shooter’s only trusted pals.

“Her isolation and loneliness led Hale to begin believing the only true friends she could confide in were her stuffed animals, who she felt would never abandon her,” police said.

“She assigned them names and personalities, took them with her whenever she travelled, and began creating cartoons and digital media, including stories where they demonstrated some of the same emotions she felt.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Education

A trans teacher in Texas resigns after being targeted by conservatives online

Published

on


A transgender teacher in Texas resigned on Monday, less than a week after a state lawmaker called for her to be fired over a social media video in which she talks about feeling supported by her students.

“I am heartbroken,” said Rosie Sandri, who taught sophomore English at Red Oak High School, just south of the Dallas metro area, for three years. She said she has wanted to be a teacher since she was 5 years old. “When I signed that resignation, it felt like my dream was being taken away from me.

A selfie of Rosie Sandri
Rosie Sandri resigned from her job at Red Oak High School on Monday.Courtesy Rosie Sandri

Sandri, 33, came out as a trans woman about seven months ago and said her colleagues at school and the Red Oak Independent School District were very supportive. She said she never got up in front of her class and came out, but instead just started dressing differently. When students noticed and asked if they should call her by a different name or use different pronouns, she told them they could call her “whatever they were comfortable with.”

She did tell them that she preferred she/her pronouns, but added, “If you don’t agree with that, or you feel uncomfortable with that, you’re not going to hurt my feelings by calling me whatever you want.”

After she came out, Sandri started sharing videos of her experiences as a trans woman and teacher on TikTok. She said she filmed some of the videos in her classroom after school hours. She had about 150 followers prior to last week. 

Last Wednesday, the social media account Libs of TikTok, which has millions of followers and singles out LGBTQ people and their employers for promoting inclusivity, shared one of Sandri’s TikTok videos in which she talks about gender euphoria, or the positive feelings trans people experience when their gender identity and expression align. 

“At school today, I’m surrounded by kids, I teach sophomores, and I have these 15-, 16-year-olds who are completely on board, who when I told them I had changed my pronouns, jumped right into it,” Sandri said in the March 18 video. “They call me ‘ma’am.’ They call me ‘Miss.’ They use my correct pronouns and know my correct name, and it is incredibly affirming.” 

In its post about Sandri, Libs of TikTok used her previous legal name, a practice called “deadnaming” that is widely considered offensive among the trans community, and also misgendered her and asked, “Would you feel comfortable with this person teaching your kid?” The account also shared a screenshot of one of Sandri’s posts about the different kinds of LGBTQ Pride flags, saying she was “pushing” the content on her public TikTok where students can follow her. 

State Rep. Brian Harrison, who represents Red Oak, where the school is located, shared Libs of TikTok’s post on X and demanded that Sandri be “immediately terminated.”

“Public schools (and the property taxes that fund them) are for education … not leftist indoctrination!” Harrison said. 

Chaya Raichik, the far-right activist who runs the Libs of TikTok account, did not return a request for comment.

Harrison said he is “proud to have helped deliver this victory to protect Texas students.”

“Public schools are for education, not indoctrination,” he said in an emailed statement. “Any teacher who claims to get ‘gender euphoria’ from their minor students and teaches them that boys can become girls should be terminated immediately.”

Sandri said she never taught her students about transitioning, and Harrison did not return a request for additional comment about whether he believes trans educators are teaching their students about transitioning just by being openly transgender.

Sandri said that she was out sick last Wednesday, when Libs of TikTok initially shared her video, but that she started receiving threats and harassment to her personal and school email accounts and on social media shortly after.

That same day, she said, she called the human resources department at Red Oak Independent School District, and the deputy superintendent told her the school had received threats as well. She said the deputy superintendent told her she would be placed on administrative leave for two days while the school investigated.

On Monday, she said she came to an agreement with the school that she would resign. She said that she can’t discuss the details of the conversation as part of the agreement, and that the school didn’t tell her she had violated any policy. 

In an email sent to school staff Monday and obtained by NBC News, Beth Trimble, the chief communications officer for the district, reminded educators of the district’s social media policy. 

“Your freedom of speech is not free of consequences if it results in a disruption of your ability to do your job,” the email said. It also directed staff to refrain from posting during school and work hours. 

In an email to NBC News, Trimble said the message sent to staff on Monday was not related to Sandri’s resignation. She did not answer questions about whether Sandri violated any of the district’s policies, Sandri’s account of events or whether the school asked Sandri to resign.

“I decided yesterday that my best option was to resign for the safety of myself and even for the safety of the school,” Sandri said, adding that she doesn’t hold any ill will against the school or district, which were supportive throughout her transition. 

“I was out [as transgender] for seven months, and parents, staff, admin, nobody had a problem,” she said. “I wasn’t causing a disruption. It was not people in the school or directly in the community that were causing a problem. It was these outside people.”

Libs of TikTok has repeatedly posted about teachers who have shared LGBTQ-inclusive content on social media, igniting harassment against those teachers and their schools. Last year, an Oklahoma teacher who performed in drag outside of work resigned after Libs of TikTok posted about him and the local superintendent subsequently called for him to be fired.

Monday, March 31, the day Sandri resigned, was coincidentally Trans Day of Visibility, an annual awareness day dedicated to celebrating trans people’s accomplishments and acknowledging the violence and discrimination the community faces. It was Sandri’s first Trans Day of Visibility as an out trans woman. 

People who said their children were in Sandri’s class commented on her post about her resignation saying they supported her. One person said Sandri was one of her son’s favorite teachers.

Sandri said she’s unsure whether she’ll be able to get another job as a teacher in Texas due to Harrison’s post and the public attention she’s received. As a result, she said she’s considering taking legal action against Libs of TikTok and people she said disparaged her and threatened the school. Libs of TikTok posted about Sandri’s resignation, calling it a “big win.” 

“My message to Libs of TikTok is, ‘You picked the wrong one,’” Sandri said. “The whole community stands behind me, and they don’t care, and I am lucky enough to have that privilege that a lot of trans people don’t have. So my message to everyone is, ‘Don’t just make this about me. Go out there and help the trans people and the LGBTQIA community, because there are Black and brown trans people, there are trans youth, there are gay and lesbian people who are having their right to marriage threatened right now. Go out there and help these people.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending